Saturday, March 24, 2012

20 Years, 0 Months, O Days in the Life of....


Today marks the twentieth anniversary of the release of "3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of..." the debut album of Arrested Development.  If my calculus is up to speed, this means it's been 23 years, 5 months and 2 days since the group decided to pursue a record deal.

I would be lying if I said I bought it on release date.  As I recall, I picked it up some time in late July or early August.  I spent a lot of time mowing lawns that summer, and I picked up albums from artists like their fellow Atlanteans Kris Kross, Heavy D, and Black Sheep before I bought this one. (It was supposed to be the "clean version" of A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, and a few of the raunchier songs were excised, but what was left was still very much explicit.  Don't tell my mom.)  But this is the one I still turn to, even today, nothing against those other albums. 

This album had such an effect on me that I still remember how the paper in the cassette liner smelled.  To me, it kind of smelled like a corn chip, a bit of an organic scent that fit in perfectly with the contents of the cassette.

I spent a lot of time on the couch at night watching "Yo! MTV Raps" back in the days when the M stood for music, and it was an educational experience.  Songs by Public Enemy, EPMD, Redman, Das EFX, Heavy D, 2Pac, and many others were in heavy rotation and I absorbed them all like a sponge.  Much like Eminem stated on record a few years back, the X-Clan used to scare me too.  But the videos for "Tennessee," "People Everyday", and "Mr. Wendal" still stick out today, engrained in my mind.

I think one of the more underrated elements of this album are the love songs, so to speak.  "U", "Natural", and "Dawn of the Dreads" are still to this day such a more advanced treatment of woman than almost anything done since.  "Mama's Always on Stage" will always hold relevancy.  Just incredible pieces of work.  One of the criticisms of the work of Public Enemy- and it is a valid one, though I know of no group that can be all things to all people- is their portrayal of woman and Arrested Development really knocked that out of the mark in my male eyes.    

Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this, I just wanted to kind of free flow a few thoughts on this album, one of my all-time favorite albums and proof that hip hop can be and is so much more than that deplorable "Rack City" song I heard for the first time yesterday. 

Congrats to Arrested Development for a piece of work that has stood strong for twenty solid years, and I eagerly await what's next for the group.  Also, keep your eyes on the All School Sessions radio show as Lord Kel plans on paying tribute to the album on his radio show soon.



2 comments:

Tim Lybarger said...

20 years of Life Music. Amazing.

Here are my own comments on the anniversary:

http://mattandtimfunny.blogspot.com/2012/03/20-years-of-arrested-development.html

Check it out if you've got the time.

JeremyM said...

Awesome write-up TL! Wish I had the time to put out something similar but I procrastinated and wanted to get it out on the actual anniversary of the release day. Plus, I'm not that good of a writer :)

I'm going to link to it tomorrow as I think it deserves a lot of shine. Nice job!