Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Format Change

Well, for a few months now I've been mulling a bit of a format change.  For over two years, I've almost exclusively covered Arrested Development and Speech, and I've enjoyed it very much.  For me, it's been awesome.  I've actually met people I would consider friends through the site, I've had people mail me rarities for the site, and I was even able to meet the group.  Incredible.  But after two years, I've said about all I can say about Arrested Development and Speech's past.

That doesn't mean I won't cover the future of AD and Speech.  Definitely.  Of course!  But I've also decided that it's time to expand the site's horizons.  The bottom line is I love old school, classic hip hop, or rap, or whatever you want to call it.  So why not broaden the scope of this site?  Oh sure, I could just start another blog, but I like this one just fine as it is.  The name won't change and there's no reason for it to do so. 

As far as what format the site will take, I'm going to play it by ear.  Basically, if an artist was introduced to the world before 2000 (a VERY broad definition of classic rap I know), then they're fair game in my eyes.  What kind of posts will there be?  The same kind of stuff I've posted before, but just as an example, judging by page views it seems that my detailed breakdown of AD and Speech discographies seem to be among the favorites, so I would be game for breaking down discographies for everyone from LL Cool J to Public Enemy to Eazy-E to Slick Rick and all points in between.  So we shall see.

To get things started, and if you've stuck with this post this long, check out a recently released Rakim song from 1995 called "Bring It On", when he was between labels and lawyering up against MCA and Eric B.  Hard to believe this has been sitting in a vault for the last seventeen years!

No comments: