Sunday, January 8, 2012

How To Rap and What Is Success



Somehow I slept on this book - I picked up How to Rap over a year ago and completely spaced it off.  It ended up in my massive "to read" pile, forgotten.  I flipped through it a bit the other day and realized it had some pretty good contributions from Speech in it, which I didn't read so that I could save them for later.  So when I finally get to this book in my pile, I'll have more on it later.

Embarrassing true story- I did once try to rap and actually record myself when I was a teenager.  I let a friend listen to it and he compared me- somewhat favorably I might add- to Silkk the Shocker.  I knew so little about music (and still do frankly) that I didn't realize Silkk is infamous for having no clue as to how to stay on beat. 

If only Master P was my older brother.....

Another AD-related book chilling in my pile is Speech's "What Is Success."  I'm funny that way, I buy books and just let them stack up- the good thing is if I ever break my leg I've got a nice stockpile to keep me busy.  Anyway, this seems like a must read for us AD fans, and I will get to it- soon!  I've never been a big fan of self-help books, which this is to a degree as far as I know, and is kind of why I've been a bit hesitant to dig in. 

It's amazing how far the quality of hip hop books have come in say the last decade.  I actually did my senior theme on high school (which I basically reused in college), and it was slim pickings when it came to decent research material- there were a few good books out there, but very few.  Now we not only have some good books, but some that I would almost consider classics of the genre.



No comments: