Monday, April 23, 2012

AD Unplugged Tape Bonuses (Part One)


The crux of this site is that I have an almost obsessive desire to collect every commercially released song by either Arrested Development and Speech.  Figuring where there's one, there's probably another, I started the site in order to share these hard to find, rare, and/or out of print songs while bringing focus to the readily available material because the group is too good not to be heard.  But in this case, I probably went a little too far.

Digging through an old box of stuff, I found the AD Unplugged cassette.  After looking it over for minute, I noticed on the back three little asterisks denoting "cassette only bonuses" (see photo above, which I found on google).  

Oh no!  In the big scheme as well as the little scheme, these three instrumentals mean little (especially the "Time" instrumental, which is barely a song at all and frustrated my twelve-year old self who thought that song as well as "Searchin' For One Soul" and "The Gettin'" were brand spanking new AD songs when they are basically interludes) but the OCD in me came out and I had to have them.  But was it worth paying the $20 or so I would have to pay for a company to convert them to CD?

Probably not, especially since good friend of the site and future AD Fan of the Month Christian LeBlanc is a master at ripping stuff from vinyl, tape, etc.  Long story short, I ordered a copy of the tape on Amazon for pennies, shipped it to Canada (wisely and cleverly saving myself a trip to the post office while keeping my cherished copy of the tape that was so haphazardly stored in a box in my mom's basement and seems to have disappeared since), and a short time later, Christian sent me the tracks!  Hooray for OCD.

Truth be told, the instrumentals, at least for "Fishin" and "U", are really good and shockingly fun to explore without the vocals on top.  I love how they retain yet expand on the sound found on the album versions, and they sound completely different from what the stellar bad does now.   

Today, we'll start with the ultimate tease in the "Time" instrumentals (there appear to be two versions on the tape), tomorrow we'll have another, and Wednesday we'll close with yet another.  Enjoy!  And thanks to Christian for sending these to me!


2 comments:

Christian LeBlanc said...

Thanks, Jeremy! I made the "More Time" version myself just because the official version felt way too short on its own :P

And for anyone reading, Jeremy might say it took me a short time, but I was horribly late getting these to him (found out my tape player was broken after promising him I'd do it, for one thing). The fact that he was so cool about it says a lot of good things about him :)

JeremyM said...

Yeah yeah yeah, we got the tracks and that's good enough. Thanks again Christian!