Sunday, October 21, 2012

AD Concert Thoughts


Three bands and then a dinner menu.
You know, writer's block just isn't much fun.  I'm not the best writer under normal circumstances (though that's not stopping me from trying to write a novel!) but to really find the words to express the concert I saw last Thursday has been nearly impossible.

Well, that's not true- in my drive home from Lincoln, about an hour drive to where I live in Omaha, I had arranged my thoughts and felt like I was on a good track to write something decent.  But, seeing as I needed to go to sleep that night, when I woke up, everything that sounded so good the night before was gone.  Vamoosh!  So on that note, I'm just going to throw out a few things and whatever comes out is what comes out.

First off, the opening band, a little seven-man crew called Funktion.  Really good opening act and there's some definite talent there.  Hope they go far.
Someone forgot their real camera!
Moving on to the show itself.  The venue, called the Bourbon Theater, was perfect, what they call an "intimate gathering" and it truly was not like any other hop hop show I've been to before.  There weren't a bunch of freaks there looking to show out, or guys wearing muscle shirts trying to impress those freaks, or people looking to do anything but have a good time.  It was a good mix of young and old, black and white, hardcores and casual fans.  Just a real chill crowd.

As far as the band, as far as I'm concerned the Roots need to drop their claim to being the best live hip hop band.  I've seen the Roots live and they're a very good band, but in my opinion their shows do not come close to the energy of an AD show.  Just my opinion, don't shoot me.  With AD you've got Tasha out there singing her butt off, you've got new member MiMi Carter dancing her tail off and chipping in with vocals, new drummer Smok Tagous doing his thing (had the chance to talk to him after and was stunned it was only his third show), One Love brings a ton of energy, Speech sounds exactly the same as he does in studio (that's a good thing), and of course JJ Boogie and Za on the guitars.

The performance itself was fantastic. They did two songs each from their latest albums Strong and Standing at the Crossroads, two from Zingalamaduni, Revolution from Malcolm X, and the rest was made up of the classics from Three Years.  Overall it was an incredible show, and just when you thought they had exceeded all expectations, Speech called everyone up close to the front of the stage.  Now I'm the type of guy that kind of hangs back and takes things from a distance, but by this point even I went up there.  Speech then kind of did some snippets from a few things, then explained the story behind Tennessee, which most of us are familiar with but hearing it live, to me, gave the song even more meaning.  And last but not least he gave way to Tasha, in front of her home state fans in Nebraska, and just let her belt away.  I heard more than a few comparisons made to Aretha Franklin in the crowd after her performance.  Mind blowing.
Speech and me.  My brother won't make it as a paparazzi.

Afterwards, I said a quick hello to Tasha and I was ready to roll out.  I was on a natural high and didn't want to risk ruining that, but my brother was on a bit of an unnatural one (OK, he was drunk) and wanted to stick around to finish his drink, I guess before it finished him.  So we hung around, then suddenly Speech rolled back out along with the rest of the crew.  So I couldn't resist and stood back until he was free to say hello.  Well, my brother decided to introduce me as "the guy who runs ArrestedDevelopment.com."  Nice.  Anyway, I explained which site I do run, and next thing I know it was like I was talking to an old friend, even getting asked about my daughter from the picture when I was "AD Fan of the Month" on the site I allegedly run.  Honestly, I'm not just saying this, he could not have been nicer and really, if you ever get to meet someone you admire I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.  Incredible.  I also spoke to JJ Boogie, One Love, Smok Tagous, and Speech's wife Yolanda, and honestly, they were all as nice and as down to earth as you could hope.
Me and One Love.

I guess if I had a complaint, and this is nitpicking, but it is that there was no merchandise table!  I was actually ready to spend some dough on a t-shirt or something, which I never do, but there was none to be seen- if I had to guess they sold out of stuff somewhere along the way to Lincoln.  No biggie- they do have a website with stuff- but that was a bit of a surprise.  These guys give away their last album for free and forget to plug and sell t-shirts all night long- what kind of musicians are they?!?

And I think that about sums it up, but let me just say, if you ever have the chance to see them live, run, don't walk.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jealous!
-Kel

JeremyM said...

Yeah, they need to whip through Ohio now!

Christian LeBlanc said...

Very, very glad you were able to have such a good time and had a great experience meeting your heroes :) I've been checking the site each day for your write-up, but figured it might take you a few days to process everything. I had a 'show-of-my-life' on the 15th seeing Morrissey perform - I wrote down all my impressions as soon as I got back to the hotel, figuring I'd revise them later on. Days went by and I couldn't even touch what I wrote, I was still trying to process the fact that I was about 10 feet away from one of my idols, singing songs that have meant the world to me for 14 years. It still doesn't seem real.

So what songs did they play? I'm not asking for a setlist, but I'm dying to know what the songs were from Zingalamaduni and the last two albums. Did they play Dawn of the Dreads? If so, did everyone put both feet in the air and wave them side to side? (note from experience: that's really hard to pull off while driving!)

JeremyM said...

Christian, you know me- I did actually keep track of the set list. So here it is:
1. Give a Man A Fish (usual opener it seems)
2. Revolution
3. Dawn of the Dreads (Speech did not request we put our legs in the air, sorry!)
4. Fishin' 4 Religion
5. Bloody
6. Mama's Always on Stage
7. Ease My Mind
8. Africa's Inside Me
9. Tennessee
10. Let Your Voice Be Heard
11. Be Scared
12. Mr. Wendal
13. People Everyday
14. Natural
15. U
16. Living
17. Closing Medley, included bits from People Everyday, Tennessee, United We Stand, and The Hey Song.

Sounds awesome on your show as well!

Christian LeBlanc said...

Wow, thanks, Jeremy! That's an awesome setlist. We listened to 3 Years... on the 5-hour drive back from the show (the next day; we stayed over), and it's amazing how fresh the album still sounds. Very cool that you got to hear Dawn of the Dreads and U live (two of my favourite tracks from that album).

Does Speech still do that crazy scream at the start of Mr. Wendal in concert? :D