Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Kings of the Mic Show Review

On Saturday, June 1st, 2013 I found myself in a funk, and I couldn’t understand it.

I couldn’t understand it because the night before, at Stir Cove in Council Bluffs, Iowa, I had been lucky enough to witness the incredible Kings of the Mic tour featuring some of my favorite artists of all time: LL Cool J, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, and De La Soul.

In some ways, scratch that, in every way, it was a dream lineup. In fact, the night before this tour was announced, I was talking to my wife about the concerts we had seen, and I specifically mentioned that I would really like to see LL and Cube someday. But never in a million years did I think that the two of them would go on tour together, with the added bonus of Public Enemy, who I had seen last fall, and De La Soul, another classic group.

So when I thought it over, the reason for my depression became clear: it is doubtful that I will ever see a lineup or a show like that again. First world problems, I know. But I really was kind of bummed that it was all over.

So as to the show, and why I was so excited about it - let’s start from the beginning. With four acts like these, there is really not a moment to spare, and with that in mind, opening De La Soul came out five minutes early to open things up. I wasn’t complaining – we’ve all been kept waiting for upwards of two hours for an artist that we paid $20 in Ticketmaster fees plus an expensive ticket price to see. I can just imagine the artist waiting in their dressing room until all of the red M&Ms are removed from the candy dish and the bottled water chilled to exactly 37.3 degrees per their touring rider, while we suffer in silence, wondering how many drinks we’re going to have to buy before they bother to show up.

But not these guys. They get down to business. They got things started with a mix of new songs, rarer old ones, and some hits, including “Me, Myself, and I” to the delight of the crowd. They packed a lot in their thirty minutes.

I would be remiss in not mentioning that there was actually a show before the show, with legendary DJ Chuck Chillout dropping a set to get the crowd amped for what was to follow. Combined with Maseo from De La, DJ Lord from PE, Crazy Toones with Ice Cube, and Z-Trip with LL, this was an opportunity for fans to see 5 legendary DJs spinning actual records and working the crowd. Classic stuff.

After De La, a short break brought out Public Enemy. I think they sounded even better than they did the first time I saw them – the open air of the Stir Cove venue seemed to work well with the sound of the PE live band The Banned. Just like De La, PE had thirty minutes to get their show in and they delivered with a tight, focused show that forced Flav to dispense with some of his antics to the betterment of the show. Still, we did get to see Flav put it down on the guitar and drums, to the shock of many fans who only know him as the guy from Flavor of Love.

One moment above all stands out from the show: I’m not one to be star struck, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t just a bit of a thrill to give Chuck a pound as he walked down the aisle while performing. He’s someone who I just flat out respect and admire, so it was a cool moment for me.

They wrapped up their tight set in a half hour and after they were done, I heard rumblings from many people in the crowd along the lines of “I didn’t expect PE to be that good!” Well, if you didn’t know, now you know. They put them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for a reason.

But our show was only halfway over.

Ice Cube was next. My brother and I had a debate over who was really the bigger star, LL or Cube. I don’t think we ever settled it and I’m still not quite sure if it can be settled. Regardless, Cube was next, and he delivered, even performing “Bop Gun” for the first time on the tour from my understanding. He did do a few songs that I’m not that crazy about like “We Be Clubbin” and “You Can Do It,” but judging by the reaction of the crowd, I was in the minority there, so I won’t complain about their inclusion at the expense of a cut or two from his first two albums. Cube did pull “Straight Outta Compton” and “Gangster, Gangster” from the way back NWA days, so really, fans of all eras of Cube got a taste, and everyone was happy right until the end with “It Was a Good Day.” Indeed it was.

Cube was also accompanied by WC as his hypeman. WC is a very good hypeman, but it’s still a bit odd to see a rapper of his caliber only given space to drop a verse or two. But such is life!

As Cube’s set was beginning to wrap, a murmur rose through the crowd. I thought there was a fight going down, but as I walked back to my seat, I literally ran right into Flavor Flav, who was walking through the fans. So not only did I get to give Chuck a pound, but with Flav right in my face it only seemed right to shake his hand. Yeahhhh, boy.

Even after all of that, there was still one more act to go. LL Cool J.

I first became “aware” of hip hop in 1989 thanks to LL. I’m certain I had heard rap before then, but LL was the guy who made an impression. MTV used to play his “I’m That Type of Guy” video regularly, and it was only in hindsight that I learned that this was actually a bad era for LL, leading to his “don’t call it a comeback” comeback with Mama Said. To me, he was the definition of cool and I was a huge fan from that moment on.

Looking back, I can see the real problems that the Walking With a Panther album had, but at the time, it was all good to me. In fact, I bought that tape a couple of times in a day when your cassette could be destroyed at the whims a of a faulty tape player. The album had his excesses, but I maintain to this day that there is a really good LL album in those 20 or so songs. You just need to program your CD player accordingly, or weed out songs like “Two Different Worlds” and “You’re My Heart” on ITunes, if you so desire. But I digress.

Back to the show. After the acts that came before him LL had some big shoes to fill, and for the most part he did a good job. Truth be told, he might have been better served contained by the time limitations the other acts had to follow as there was a fair bit of filler in his set – do we really need to see a “Brick House” dance show in the middle of a show by a legend like L? – but overall, it is LL and no more needs to be said. He delivered, and he did a good job of hitting the checkboxes that he needed to with hits like “Mama Said,” “Hey Lover,” “Rock the Bells” and so forth, along with songs spanning his entire career right up to a few tracks from Authentic, including “Whaddup” with a guest appearance from Chuck D. After four hours, I would’ve been willing to sit for more, so I think that says it all.

Last but not least, this show brought another opportunity to meet Kel, who has been a big supporter of the blog. He was again on tour with Public Enemy doing projects for their website, and he is one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. It was awesome to catch up with him again.

Anyway, the depression passed, and I was able to check a few names off of my bucket list after an outstanding show from the Kings of the Mic! Maybe lightning will strike twice and we can do it again. Meanwhile, if you have the opportunity to do so, make sure you check it out when it rolls into your area!

No comments: