Wednesday, June 19, 2013

People Everyday Sampled by J. Cole

Hasn't been too much to report in AD-land, but here's something: "People Everyday" was sampled by J. Cole for the opening of his new album Born Sinner on a song called "Villuminati" along with songs by the Notorious B.I.G. ("Juicy") and R. Kelly ("I Wish Remix"). That said, I don't hear the sample - what am I missing? I'm slipping.

Every now and again I like to give new rappers a shot even though I'm firmly in that "old music is better than today's music" stage of my life, where I will likely remain until I pass. I've heard this album is pretty good but I haven't had a good chance to listen, just happened to notice the sample in the liner notes, of which J. Cole was generous enough to provide unlike Kanye West....

2 comments:

Christian LeBlanc said...

Ok, I think I figured it out - it sounds like the drum sample that starts off the album version of People Everyday is used for the drum beats on this song, except sped up.

I also think that a quick slice of that digitized-sounding upward yell at the start of AD's track is sampled - again, sped up, therefore higher-pitched - and used twice in a row as part of the rhythm on Cole's tune. What do you think?

JeremyM said...

I think you've solved it! I don't have ears that good. I agree on both parts. Nice work!