Thursday, September 30, 2010

Extended Revolution

















When I first saw the release of "Extended Revolution" during one my CD searches on ebay and the like, I didn't think much of it. I already had the Revolution single and I figured this was just a repackaging of that content with maybe another remix of the song on there. But I ended up looking into it anyway- mainly to figure out why it was selling for $30+ on the site. So, looking at the contents, clearly this was much more than a "Revolution" single- in fact, there was only one remix of "Revolution" on the album.

So what is on the set? Obviously one can look at the track listing and see for themselves, but what exactly is a "Perfect Mix" or a "Pirate Radio Mix"? Well, I wasn't prepared to spend $30+, shipping, and all of that at the time, so it would have to wait. But eventually I did come across a more reasonably priced CD and found out first-hand what was included on the album. What you have is basically an excellent collection of remixes, many of them ones that I have not found anywhere else. Here is a track-by-track breakdown:

1- Mr. Wendal (Perfect Mix) 5:43- Kind of a European-sounding dance mix that manages to not suck! I'm not really a fan of those kinds of mixes- you do not want to see me on a dance floor, so making a song more "danceable" usually doesn't do much for me- and yet it somehow works for this song. Good start to this collection.

2- People Everday (Metamorphosis Mix) 4:57- The classic remix that was a hit single and included on later pressings of the 3 Years... album. If you somehow missed acquiring that version somewhere along the lines, well, here it is. I love this one of course, although the chanting vocal at the end drones on a bit too much for my liking. Oh well.

3- Tennesse (Pirate Radio Mix) 6:10-- This is OK, but there is a bit of DJ scratching on some of the vocals where certain lines are being played back that doesn't work as well as probably intended.

4- Ease My Mind (Another Perspective Mix) 4:13- Really nice, laid back remix to the first single from "Zingalamaduni." Apparently exclusive to this set.

5- United Front (Noises In My Attic Remix) 4:43- Another nice mix of a Zingalamaduni song.

6- Fishin' For Religion (Remix) 4:42 - Love this. One of my favorite AD songs and I really enjoyed this mix- it seems to highlight elements already in the song with a different perspective. I'm not sure, but it almost sounds like a different take on Speech's vocals as well.

7- Revolution (Another Perspective Mix) 4:18 - This mix is included on the single, and it's a good mix that hews pretty closely to the original mix.

8- People Everyday (Maroon Mix) 3:38- This is OK, but we've already had the far superior Metamorphosis remix. Kind of slows things down and reggae-fies them, so to speak.

9- Tennessee ( Back To Roots Mix) 5:19 --Really good mix of AD's first classic. Mixes in some sounds from "Children Play With Earth" as well.

10- Mr. Wendal (Hip Hop Drum Attack Mix) 5:16- If you've ever thought "gee, it would sure be a good idea to mix a happy, upbeat song with the paranoid, schizophrenic sounds of "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" then this is the mix for you! Actually, while the "Black Steel" sample during the chorus is a little jarring at first, this is a good remix.

Final analysis: I am happy with the purchase, it's a nice way to play some of my favorite songs while getting a little different vibe from them. Is it worth $30+? Well, that's your call.....

Finally, here is a little background on the disc. It was released in 2003 by a company called Stateside Records, and my copy has a sticker that says "Made in England." According to the blurb on Amazon, one of the Mr. Wendal mixes (Hip Hop Drum Attack) and the "Ease My Mind" Remix are exclusive to this set and the other songs are found on promos and so forth.

As time allows, I will post some of the harder-to-find remixes up, if anyone is interested.

No comments: