Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Life Music Remixes


Life Music Remixes is the other half of the two recent online-only releases on the Vagabond site. This compilation remixes tracks from a variety of recent albums. I have a love-hate relationship with remixes- on one hand when you've played a certain song to death from a group you love, it's a way to listen to it with a fresh perspective. On the other hand, you risk taking a good or great song and making it worse- of course, the opposite holds true. For instance, the album version of "People Everyday" is really good, but you'd be hard-pressed to say the remixed version wasn't better.

So Authentic (Tall Boy Remix) [3:06] - This is a song from the Japanese version of Strong. Nice remix to a great song.

Bloody (Fraternal Twins Remix) [3:31] - Another funny remix name. This remix is fine, but to me, the original is so perfect that you almost don't even want to bother remixing it.

Any Tree But That (Sebmaestria Remix) [3:15] - I like this one too. I like the original but didn't love it, and I like this one as well.

Caught Me (Metamorphosis Remix) [4:13] - Metamorphosis Remix is a remix title that has been used quite a few times in the AD catalog, most famously with the afore mentioned "People Everyday." This is a really good remix. I think I prefer this to the album version on "Since the Last Time."

Miracles (S*A*M* REMIX) [3:44] - I'm a big fan of the original, and truth be told this remix, while fine taken on it's own, just makes me want to listen to the original! We'll see how I feel about the next remix of "Miracles."

Miracles (Jazzed Out Remix) [3:37] - Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way about this one as the previous remix- probably like this one a little more actually. Fine for what it is, but I'll take the original.

The Grown Folks Table (Tall Boy Remix) [4:29] - The title song from Speech's last album, this is my least favorite remix on here. Just kind of chops up the beat, inserts some random vocals from it, and leaves out the verses. Sorry Tall Boy!

I Alone (Tall Boy Remix) [3:15] - This one is better- works more like an instrumental then a remix.

InnerCity (Metamorphosis Remix) [2:42] - I think this one has been floating around for a little bit. Another "Metamorphosis" remix and not a bad one either.

Between the two recent online releases, I prefer Unreleased Jewels and think most Speech fans would. Having new music in my eyes is superior to remixes, although I don't regret checking out the remixes and the package goes for just $4.99 so it's not a big investment- I mean, that's a reasonable price. Either way, it's great that these projects have been made available to us Speech and AD fans, and hopefully this will prove to be a solid way to release music!

No comments: