Friday, October 8, 2010

Southern Fried Funk



Southern Fried Funk. This was a b-side from the United Front single. I had no idea it existed until I ran across the Classic Masters hits package. So I picked it up, and really, I'm not sure why this song didn't make Zingalamaduni. I love it.

The Classic Masters album also has a different version of "Like Marvin Gaye Said (What's Going On?)" that I'll have to post soon. It's not advertised as such so I'm not sure where this mix came from. It edits out the Marvin Gaye sample, so maybe it came about due to a rights issue.

Here's a somewhat funny story tied to this song- apparently Speech was asked to come up with a slogan for the city of Atlanta and he suggested "Southern Fried Funk." Hey, why not? It's better than the slogan here in Omaha- "O, what a city!" Indeed.

(Note: Here is an updated post with the album version of this song.)

No comments: