Thursday, December 9, 2010

Speech Live From LA (Another "Bootleg")

Honestly, I think out of everything I've come across in my time doing Highway 85, this is my favorite.  The previous live project posted on Monday was excellent, but this is a little different despite being recorded around the same time.  Basically, it's Speech live in studio with Rick Warren on acoustic guitar performing a few tracks, as well as a couple of people hand-clapping here and there.  So no band, no DJ, no background vocalists, nothing but an artist and a guitarist.  It was recorded from a show on 89.9 KCRW in Los Angeles on a show called Morning Becomes Eclectic
So, let's go through the tracks to give a few of my impressions on each-
Intro- This is a really informative opening and gives some background information as to why Speech took his recording career to Japan- legally, he couldn't release in the US due to problems that his record label were going through, but through a loophole he was able to do so in Japan.  So that's why Hoopla was first released there, and once that situation cleared up it was released by TVT here in 1999.
Clocks In Sync With Mine- A nice mellow, acoustic version of this.  I always want some lemon water with ice after I hear this song....
Redemption Song- Another live version of the Bob Marley cover.  I really like Rick Warren's playing on this one and Speech is in good form.
Talkin- Another little interview with Speech before "Brother Speech" starts.
Brother Speech- I've never heard this one live before, and it works really well as an acoustic track.  I think I like this version better then the album version from Spiritual People.
People Everyday- So how does this one work acoustically?  Very well.  We only get the opening verse before Speech actually goes into the chorus of "Tennessee" while still on the "People Everyday" music.  He then goes back into the end of "People Everyday".  Good stuff.
Interview- A few thoughts on why Speech chose to cover "Redemption Song."  Also talks about how he used a full band on Hoopla for the first time in his career.
Tennessee- They close out with the classic.  This is a fantastic live version of the song.  I think I've posted upwards of 10 live versions of the song, but this one takes the cake (and I think there have been some stellar live versions of this).  This is the full song and at the end he goes into the hook from "Real Love".  
In short, you've downloaded nothing from this site, then you should at least grab this at is a great listen.  My only complaint is that it gets cut a little short because apparently some kind of Bill Clinton speech was taking place that day that was going to preempt the show.  This is the thanks Speech gets for performing with Arrested Development at his inauguration?!?
Again, I want to thank Kel for sending this my way with the other live Speech recording and some other goodies. 
In case you missed the link up top, here it is again.  Enjoy!  

No comments: