Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Interview With Tasha LaRae

If you are an AD fan, you've no doubt heard Tasha LaRae sing.  She joined the group between the Since the Last Time and Strong albums and immediately fell into a huge role with the group on Strong.  She has added a strong dynamic to the group that was somewhat present before, but more so in the background.  As the group has grown into more of an outwardly collaborative effort- meaning multiple performers take lead roles on various songs, whether it be One Love sharing rap vocals with Speech now, or Eshe and Tasha getting solos - Tasha has been a huge part of that, with large and dynamic performances on the Strong album.
 
In addition to her role in Arrested Development, she has developed an earring line called Earjeans that has been going very well for her and has also recently released an EP entitled The Tasha LaRae EP
 
I've really been impressed with what she has added to the group, and I was shocked to learn that I actually went to high school with her!  (Yes, we were both Benson Bunnies.  That really was our mascot....)  So when I had the opportunity to ask her some questions for Highway 85, I didn't hesitate- I fired away and she was nice enough to respond back with some very thoughtful and interesting replies.  The interview was conducted via e-mail, and keep in mind I am an amateur at this.... 
  
When did you start singing?
   I started singing when I was small. I would copy everything I heard from my mother and also the songs on the radio.
Who inspired you? Any singers in particular?
   Starting out it was my mom, as I got older I would listen to lots of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, & Mahalia JacksonYou were born and raised in Omaha but now reside in Georgia.  Did you leave Omaha solely to pursue a singing career?  
No. I actually left Omaha because my mother made me!  I finished my first year at U.N.O. (note:  The University of Nebraska at Omaha) and then my entire family moved to Georgia. I was against it because I didn't know anyone in Georgia and I knew I was gonna miss my friends back home. But after 6 months of Georgia life, I was hooked!What were you doing as far as singing before you joined AD?
   I was writing music for myself and for up and coming solo artists in Georgia. I would perform around the city and travel worlwide both as a solo artist and also as a background vocalist for many national and international artists.So how did you hook up with Arrested Development?
    I performed at a function Speech's church hosted as a background singer for a friend of mine. The next day, I received an email from Speech asking if I'd be interested in auditioning for the group. What was your favorite song on Strong?
   "Freedom", "Greener" and "Africa We Thank You" are three of my favorite songs on Strong. It's hard to choose one! Which song were you most involved with putting together?
  I was fortunate to write on the majority of the songs for this album which is amazing. I would say I was most involved in "Let Your Voice Be Heard", "Greener", "Haters" and "Africa We Thank You" as I wrote the hooks for these songs. How did you come up with your fashion line Earjeans? How has that been going for you?
Earjeans started as a solution to a slight wardrobe issue I was having. I was preparing for my first overseas tour with A.D. and we had about 8 shows in Australia and New Zealand. I was getting creative with my clothes and budget to have 8 different show outfits. I painted some designs on a few pairs of jeans and thought it would be cool to have jean earrings with the same design on it. I got so many compliments on them that I started the company seven months later. That was in August 2008 and since then, my company has experienced a lot of success and is still going strong today.Do you enjoy fashion or music more? Or do they both link together creatively?
   I am a music fan first but fashion is coming in at a close second! They definitely go hand in hand. I am equally excited about both which works out great because when I'm a little burnt out from one, I can move to the other and still be creative and productive.It looks like you've traveled a lot, especially with AD. What places have you seen, and what has been your favorite?
  Wow. I've seen a lot of places! Poland, South Africa, Morocco, Europe/UK, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Japan, Canada, and all over the U.S. My favorite place to visit is Australia and New Zealand. We have visited many of these places multiple times also and it's always great to discover something new each time we go.
Any funny stories as far as traveling or performing?
   Lots! I think the funniest things happen naturally when we are traveling and cracking jokes on each other! One Love is the comedian in our group and keeps us in tears!
Has there been a project that you were involved in that you felt was overlooked, and if so what was that?
   Strong is the first major project that I've been a part of that's been released on the level it has been. I hope it doesn't become overlooked.  
Have you been a part of any other groups besides Arrested Development?
   In high school, my two best friends (Christi Woods and Charlotte Cox) and I started a singing group called Nu Beginning. We had a lot of local success but when I moved to GA, that ended my run with them. Outside of that, no, I haven't been in any other groups.
Any word on when we can expect a new AD album or any recording plans?
  We are definitely getting in the studio early 2011 to record more material. Not sure when another album will drop officially.You have also released a solo recording called The Tasha LaRae EP.  What is your favorite song on that project?   My favorite song is "Whatcha Got" because the message in that song speaks to me the most and is a constant reminder to me to make the most of what I have instead of focusing on what I'm lacking.
How did that project come together?
The Tasha LaRae EP.
   The Tasha LaRae EP is a collection of songs I was working on for a project called Love Yourself. These were songs I had written before I joined A.D. but  completed the majority of the recordings after I joined the group. I didn't want to let my songs go to waste! I put the EP together and I've very proud of it. It has 7 songs on it now and I am currently working on a full length project but I haven't set a release date. (It's too much pressure when you set dates prematurely, lol!)
Any plans for a Tasha LaRae LP?
  Most definitely! I guess I touched on this in the question above :o)Did you ever consider auditioning for American Idol, or do you prefer the route you've taken? You obviously have the voice for it!
   I'm so glad you asked me this question! I did!! and I was cut on the first round of auditions, lol! I guess I wasn't what they were looking for but I'm glad it worked out that way or else I may not be a part of the A.D. family.
Were you a fan of AD before joining the group? As a kid?   
I was definitely an A.D. fan as a kid. I was in Junior High when the group came out and I remember all my friends braggin about getting the tape when it first came out.  My mom was a little strict about the music I could listen to and I couldn't listen to A.D. because of a few curse words...but you know that doesn't stop kids for hearing what they want! I had my ways but I'm still not tellin, ha!
 
I want to thank Tasha again for her participation in this interview, and I wish her luck in all of her future creative activities!  I really enjoyed hearing her answers and getting some background info on how she came to join Arrested Development as well as her participation on Strong.  Can't wait to hear the next AD project.  You can find out more on her fashion line earjeans as well as her EP here.  And to read my review of said EP, check that out here.

2 comments:

Christian LeBlanc said...

"keep in mind I am an amateur at this"

If you weren't, we wouldn't have gotten that brilliant bit about American Idol. Well done!

JeremyM said...

I couldn't help but ask that, because it seems like every person I've run across that can legitimately sing has tried out for that stupid show and been rejected on the first cut. American Idiots would be a better title, even if Green Day used it already....