Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Tasha LaRae EP Review

The Tasha LaRae EP (2010) Tasha LaRae, self-released
As one can tell from the quality of my writing here, I am not a critic- professional, amateur, or otherwise.  Basically, my reviews boil down to either I like it, I kind of like it, or I don't like it.  Nothing too fancy.  But I recently purchased the debut solo project, The Tasha LaRae EP, from the latest member of Arrested Development, Tasha LaRae, and I'd really like to review it.  Quite simply, I like it!  The EP consists of seven songs and was executive produced by Tasha and DJ Freez, and I presume they produced the actual songs as well (Note:  I should not have presumed- according to Tasha a number of producers were used!).  So let's break it down track-by-track.
1. Love Yourself-  This is a great song- very positive (obviously, judging by the title!) and the band is outstanding.  This song kind of has a Strong vibe to it without any other AD members present, if that makes sense.
2. Secrets featuring Dain Harris-  Another great song, more mellow then the rousing opener.  Dain Harris is a really good signer so this makes a great duet. 
3. Let Go-  Cool song with a nice twist on a classic hard rock song.  I won't spoil which classic, just in case you buy it.  It took me about 5 seconds to catch on and have the little light bulb go off over my head.   
4. I Still Love You (Radio Edit) - This is the one that you can hear online, and I'll post it down below again as a refresher.  Really nice song although I like the first three songs even better.
5. Let's Stay Together- The classic Al Green song covered.  Tasha can sing, period!  (Note:  This is not an Al Green cover and is an original Tasha composition, so my musical ignorance shines through!  I apologize for that mistake as I should have known better!)
6. I Still Love You (extended version)- Exactly what it says it is. 
7. Whatcha Got- Good closer, another positive song and a very fitting way to close the EP.
In a nutshell, I will definitely be checking for a possible Tasha LaRae LP if and when it drops.  In the meantime, this really is a worthwhile album, especially for those who are into R&B/Soul or if you enjoyed what Tasha brought to the table on Strong.  Other than Speech, there really aren't many solo efforts from AD members- former member Nadirah has released a couple albums after leaving the group and Eshe appears to have one in the works- so it's nice to see other members get a turn in the solo spotlight, and I look forward to seeing other endeavors from AD members.


No comments: