Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Soundtracks


The other day I was checking out the wikipedia entry on Arrested Development and noticed a listing of the various movies that had featured songs form either AD or Speech. I was familiar with a few of them of course, but I realized that there were quite a few that I wasn't. So let's break each film down with the song used, with thanks to imdb.

Malcolm X - "Revolution" of course. We had some of the remixes featured here. Pops up on all of the greatest hits packages and as a bonus track to 3 Years and Unplugged in some markets.

Boomerang
- "Man's Final Frontier", the introduction to 3 Years... Seems like kind of an odd song to feature in a film, and I'm not really sure how it's used. I'd be interested to see where this pops up as I've only seen bits and pieces of this one.

Bebe's Kids - The song on this was "Oh No" which was featured here. Billed as an Arrested Development song, this was basically an instrumental piece. I assume it was used as background music or as part of the score, but I'm not really sure. This did not appear anywhere else that I am aware of.

Reality Bites - "Give a Man A Fish" was used here. My wife owns this movie but I've never seen it...

Definitely Maybe - "People Everyday" pops up in this one as well as "Everyday People," the song that AD sampled.

Warriors of Virtue - The very good Speech cover "Beautiful Morning." This did not appear on any Speech albums, but we had it here.

Whipped - "Real Love" by Speech. I will never be seeing this one, but I'm glad that Speech was able to pickup a paycheck from it!

Michael Jordan To the Max - "Redemption Song", Speech's classic Bob Marley cover was featured here. I'm a big fan of Jordan but I have never seen this film (which was released in Imax theaters only, and later on DVD), so I'm not sure how it was used. Redemption Song can be found on the US "Hoopla", the Japanese "Spiritual People," and "Speech's Best". To those who haven't heard it, the Japanese mix can be found here.

Oddly, I have not seen a single film listed here, although I've been intending to see Malcolm X for some time. Anyway, basically we have three new songs that popped up on soundtracks and a host of previously released songs used.

No comments: