Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Freedom: Speech Remix Tracks


Speech must really have a following in Japan, because he has done a ton of projects over there. Most of them are standard releases, but you've got a few compilations and this, basically a remix EP of songs from Hoopla and Spiritual People called Freedom: Speech Remix Tracks.

Speech remixes:

Y.O. (Bluesbreaker's Super Dry De Dope): This one is remixed by Tomoyasu Takeuchi (Super Butter Dog). Hey, that's what it says. Funny remix title and DJ name aside, this is a great remix. Adds a trumpet to the sounds, which kind of gives it a Pete Rock vibe since Pete likes his horns. I like this one better than the original song. Great start.

Jungle Man: Remixed by DJ Jin (Rhymester): I've never really cared for this song, but the remix isn't too bad. Still has the original chorus that just doesn't do it for me. Hey, you can't like them all.

Poverty: Remixed by Steady & Co. This is a good remix. According to the bio of these guys in the liner notes, they have an "urban but earthy flavor" which is a good way to describe this remix. Almost has an Organized Noize vibe to it, which is a good thing in my book.

Yeah, Yeah: Remixed by DJ Hasebe. Hasebe would go on to remix "The World is Changing" on the Japanese version of Strong. I'm a big fan of the original. This one is OK. Kind of slows things down. It's certainly listenable and kind of grows on you. I've always loved the hook.

Our Image (Soul Ninja Remix): This one is remixed by Tsubame Reworks. Obviously, this is my favorite remix title of all time- a soul ninja. Unfortunately, the ninja apparently swept in and removed Speech's lead vocals on this track, as you basically only hear him towards the end of it with a high level of distortion. This really doesn't do anything for me..... For some reason, the title reminds me of the infamous Ninja Rap song by Vanilla Ice.

Spiritual People: Remixed by Speech himself. This is a remix and not the Japanese or US version of the song. Very bass heavy version of the song. Seems like something more for the clubs or even your car

Redemption Song: This one is remixed by Hirofumi Asamoto (Ram Jam World) & Kenichi Yoshimura. This group did the remix of "Hey Song" on the Disciples project and I prefer that remix to this one. This one works primarily because Speech is so great on it- the backing track that's been remixed doesn't add anything to me. But to each their own!

One thing I like about this album is that the liner notes give you some background on the remixers, and it kind of explains what they were going for with their remix. It's a nice touch. That said, it's pretty spotty even at 7 tracks- to me, there are two standouts, four OK songs, and 1 pretty bad one. Considering what it sales for right now, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend buying it unless you're a die-hard like me. Luckily, since it's out of print we'll get the remixes up here at some point!

No comments: