Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Story of Us


The Story of Us AKA How I Became An Arrested Development Fan

In the early 90s, I became a big fan of a hip hop group from Atlanta. They were known for their somewhat unorthodox fashion choices, had a bunch of hits on the radio, and they were all over MTV. Of course, I am referring to Kris Kross, the miggedy-miggedy macks who called people wiggedy-wiggedy wack.

Yes, Kris Kross. Hey, they were basically the same age as me and I loved those guys. Loved them. I can't even tell you how many times I played their tape Totally Krossed Out. So what does that have to with that other Atlanta-based group that was all over MTV, had a bunch of hits on the radio, and made unorthodox fashion decisions? Well....

Like I said, I was a nut for Kris Kross. So when "Jump" hit the radios, I had to have a copy of it, but the problem was the radio station in Omaha rarely played it despite "Jump" being a big radio hit. And this might shock you, but Omaha didn't have an "urban" radio station in the early 90s, so you basically had to bide your time on the top 40 station (where have you gone Sweet 98?) if you wanted to hear a rap song.

So this is what happened. I was listening to the radio, tape ready, and one of the DJ's said something like "coming up soon, "Jump" from Kris Kross." Problem was, it was getting close to my bedtime. So I came up with an ingenious solution- I stuck a tape in my tape player, waited as long as I could, and then hit record and let it roll while I laid in bed and dreamt about NES games, GI Joe's, and so forth....

So, I woke up the next morning, looking for my Kris Kross song. I played the tape through on my Walkman (or a cheaper version of one), fast forwarding every now and again, and much to my distress, there was no Kris Kross to be found. However, there was a rap song, which was guaranteed to catch my ear as it was rare to hear any rap on Omaha radio. And not only that, but it was a really good rap song that seemed to be called "Tennessee." So I played it, rewound, played it again, rinse, repeat. This was a really good song! But who is it?

So I then asked my friend about it, who was a little more in with rap at that time (I basically knew of MC Hammer, LL Cool J, Young MC, Kris Kross, Tone Loc, Fresh Prince, and that's about it.) He told me who he thought they were, but beyond that I didn't know much. So I had my dubbed tape, a possible name of the group, and that was about it.

Fast forward a bit to summer, a summer where I would stay up and watch Yo! MTV Raps with Dr. Dre and Ed Lover, which was basically hip hop 101 to a young kid like me who was just getting into things. To this day, people claim that 1987 was the greatest year in hip hop history, and they might be right, but 1992 wasn't a bad year to get into things either. You had newer acts like Black Sheep, Redman, DAS EFX, House of Pain, 2Pac, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, and so forth emerging, and you had more established acts who all dropped classic singles around this time that were still in heavy rotation, such as EPMD, Public Enemy, LL Cool J, and Digital Underground. I would just lay there and soak it up like a sponge, although X-Clan used to kind of scare me as a young white kid!

To top 1992 off, you had Arrested Development debuting, with "Tennessee" and "People Everyday" in heavy rotation on MTV. I naturally loved those videos, so I saved up my lawn-mowing money and picked up their tape (some time after I picked up Kris Kross of course). I still remember the cashier at good ole K-Mart telling me this was a great album, to which I replied "I know" despite never hearing anything but the singles. (Social interactions have never been my strong point.) But I loved that tape, and of course I still do- I can even remember the liner notes of the tape having a unique smell, if that's not too weird.... If it is, pretend you never read it. Now I will admit that I wasn't immediately hooked- it did take a little while to soak in, which I find is pretty common with a lot of great art.

So in a nutshell, that is how I became an AD fan. If you are here, I'd love to hear how you became a huge AD fan, even if it's as simple as "heard it on the radio, loved it, boom." I don't know if I would've become such a huge fan without finding them by accident- my hunch is I would've since the video was in heavy rotation and obviously the music is classic- but it did add a bit of a sense of discovery in my mind.

(Note: In case you are not familiar, "The Story of Us" is the title of an AD song on Heroes of the Harvest, which I think makes perfect sense for this post!)

2 comments:

Christian LeBlanc said...

My discovery of AD story:

It's 1992, and I'm a nerd in junior high (which was way more traumatic than me being a nerd now, which I'm actually really comfortable with). I'm just starting to get into music. Everyone else in my classes is into rap, and I'm trying to like it, just to have some common ground with my classmates, but it's not working. To me, it's just a bunch of people bragging about the size of their guns, and I wasn't cool with it.

Late one night in 1992, I'm up flipping the channels between the Blue Jays winning the World Series (I normally wouldn't watch, but I'm Canadian, so this was a huuuge deal!), and Saturday Night Live. For some reason, I was thinking in my mind 'that's it. I just don't like rap, I guess. No big deal.' And then this group of weirdly-dressed people are on SNL rapping about getting harassed by people and standing up for themselves, with these weird African chants going on in the background, and an old man on stage. Whaaaa?

Right after they get done, I flip the channel to MuchMusic, where the video for "People Everyday" is playing. They were dressed a little differently than from SNL, but yeah, this is the same group of people, rapping from the back of an old pickup truck...a far cry from rapping behind the wheel of a luxury vehicle.

A few days later, I saw the video for Mr. Wendal, start to finish. Speech's weird little screech at the start of it and head-bobbing afterwards hit me in just the right place, and those xylophone sounds (plucked out on a pitchfork in the video) instantly reminded me of the video for Close to Me, by The Cure, another band I was just getting into.

Yeah, I was hooked, and hooked hard. I still remember going to Zellers to buy my first ever music cd, which was going to be Barenaked Ladies' "Gordon" (really big in Canada at the time). But, I bought AD's "3 Years..." instead (Gordon was my 2nd ever cd, which I bought later). It was the right choice. I think as a nerd in junior high, hearing the line "I feed you dignity to stand with pride, realize that all in all, you stand tall" was something I needed to hear, even if I didn't quite understand that at the time.

And yeah, it gave me a bit more common ground with my classmates, but suddenly, that wasn't so important anymore. The music was.

AD might not like to know, but "3 Years..." was a gateway for me into Cypress Hill, Naughty By Nature, and the Judgement Night soundtrack album, which in itself was a gateway to Dinosaur Jr and Del tha Funky Homosapien (their song together was laced with nerd references I wasn't even nerdy enough to understand yet!). It was all rock and roll to me, though.

Another true story: I still wave my feet back and forth when listening to Dawn of the Dreads, so I'm glad that song never comes on when I'm out in public :P

JeremyM said...

Great stuff Christian! AD hit me right in middle school/junior high as well, although I really absorbed 3 Years during my miserable freshman year of high school. It's really not a fun time for anyone (well, for most anyone), but of course you don't realize that at the time- it feels like you're the only one!

I remember that World Series, but I'm a huge baseball fan. The next year's Series sticks out more though, because of the Joe Carter home run. Wow, that was something.

I still like Naughty by Nature and Cypress Hill... although morseso Naughty. Treach was really underrated. And yes, it is all rock and roll at the end of the day.

Strangely, I didn't buy Zingalamaduni until I was like 19- but that's another story.....