Thursday, November 11, 2010

Since the Last Time Deluxe


So if you want to make my head explode, just tell me that there are two different versions of Since the Last Time beyond the standard release and that will likely do the trick. Well, in theory my head would explode, but somehow I was able to survive and make it through the day after I found out that there is a deluxe Korean and an Australian version of Since the Last Time. According to Amazon, the Korean version comes with 6 bonus songs- three of them being live versions of "Tennessee," "People Everyday," and "Mr. Wendal" and three remixes. I don't know anything about the live versions so they could be live versions we've seen elsewhere or completely new.

Fortunately, those three remixes can be found here on the two-disc deluxe Australian version. I did try to find this version to purchase, but haven't had any luck- but I did find the files through other ways. So let's take a look and see what those of us on the other 6 continents have been missing. I just hope we don't see an Antarctic version of Strong or my head really will explode....

1. Since the Last Time (Will Styles Remix) - This is pretty close to the original, only with "heavier" drums. This is good, I like having a little different spin on it.
2. Miracles (Will Styles Club Mix) - I'm not a huge fan of "club" remixes (for good reason- you do not want to see me dance), but for some reason when AD does them I typically like them. Go figure.
3. Miracles (Time Sea and Elroy's Salty Sea Dog Mix) - Another club remix really, with a very odd name. I was kind of hoping to see a pirate theme mixed in or something. I prefer the Will Styles remix to this one- I can live with club songs as long as the verses eventually get a chance to play, but this one just chops up some vocals and it's just not my thing. Your mileage may vary.
4. Sao Paulo (Tight on Tape Remix) - OK, this is one of my favorite AD songs, period, so I'm holding this one to a higher standard. It's a lot different then the original, but I really like it. More of a hard hip-hop sound on this one and it works very well. My favorite remix on the second disc.
5. Since the Last Time (Tight on Tape Remix) - We've got another look at Since with presumably the same crew that did the previous remix. This one is different but pretty cool- it pulls out some of the background harmonies and pulls them to the forefront- it almost gives the song an Enya sound, from what little I know of her work. Right now I would be fine with these guys remixing the entire album, but we are moving on.
6. Inner City (Semper Fi Remix) - Oddly, this does kind of have a "Marine" vibe to the beat (for those not familiar, Semper Fi means "Always Faithful" in Latin and is the slogan for the US Marines among many other groups). This isn't too bad, although some of the vocal samples used get a little repetitive.
7. I Know I'm Bad (Jamie Munton Remix) - This one has kind of an industrial feel to it. It's a little jarring, not really my cup of tea but kind of interesting.
8. Caught Me (Futuredogs Remix) - This is OK, really speeds up the track.
9. Heaven (Fiasko Remix) - I don't know why but this has never been one of my favorite AD songs, although I enjoyed seeing Eshe get the spotlight. The remix isn't bad though, I think I like it better then the actual song.
10. I Know I'm Bad (Mason Remix) - The album closes with two more remixes of "I Know I'm Bad." This first one is pretty cool. Kind of adds a 70s soul vibe to the track. I really like this one, it's a lot of fun.
11. I Know I'm Bad (Ritual Remix) - This is more in the vein of some of the other club remixes, again not really my cup of tea. I much prefer the other remix to this song.

So there you go, a look at the bonus disc of the deluxe Australian version of Since the Last Time. We will have more on this later!

As far as the remixes that appear on the Korean version, according to Amazon it's "Caught Me (Futuredogs Remix)", "I Know I'm Bad (Jamie Munton Remix)", and "Inner City (Semper Fi Remix)". If I am ever able to find out more about that particular version I will be certain to let everyone know!

No comments: