Sunday, November 14, 2010

3 Years... Live

Over the last few years, there's been a trend in music to have artists perform complete albums live to help drum up ticket sales and fan interest. And since I have a tendency to think of off-the-wall stuff when I mow my lawn, the other day I got to thinking that it would be pretty cool if AD did 3 Years... live in it's entirety. And it would be pretty cool.

But then I got to thinking some more, and while AD is doing quite well as far as I can tell, many people tend to still think of them as a group that dropped a couple of albums, split up, and never returned. So perhaps rehashing their old material in it's entirety would not be the best route to take.

So then I got to thinking even some more, and I thought, well, I could just put together a "live" version with the live recordings that I do own, just for the heck of it. So I thought it over, and by the time I was finished mowing, I realized that I didn't think "Washed Away" showed up on any of their live albums (it doesn't), and on further inspection, "U" can only be found on the Unplugged album, which stylistically wouldn't really fit. And obviously the musical interludes would be dropped. Besides, I wouldn't want to post it since I'd be dealing with material that can still be purchased win a way that AD could gain from it.

With those plans scrapped, I then thought, well, I could just post up the best live versions from youtube, and if one so desired they could have a mini-3 Years concert right there in their office, or home, or wherever. So with that in min, I tried to track down the best versions possible of the songs from 3 Year, 5 Months, and 2 Days In The Life Of... And this is what I came up with. Sadly, not only could I not find "U" or "Washed Away," but I could not locate "Natural" either. But I thought it was a decent idea. If you so desire, check it out.



Mama's Always on Stage This is pretty bad quality (the audio and video is bad, not the performance), but it's the only live version on youtube.

People Everyday You've got your choice on this one, but I thought this was pretty cool due to the large crowd in NYC.

Mr. Wendal Again, you've got your choice, but I thought this one was great because it features the current lineup and the quality is excellent.

Raining Revolution Hard to find this one, and even then the only thing I could find was an abbreviated version. Too bad, as I love this song and the live version from the Instant Live album is perfect.

Fishin' For Religion The bass on this one is pretty distorted, but the video is good enough and it's the current lineup so that's a plus!

Give a Man a Fish Here's another current one, and is decent enough quality.

U Well, no luck on this one! I know it was done live for Unplugged but beyond that I don't know, and there's nothing on youtube- sadly....
Natural No luck here either.... Same thing goes above, although this one has been done many times live unlike "U"- just not on youtube!
Dawn of the Dreads I think we had this one up here earlier, but it's well shot and is of great quality so it works here.

Tennessee This is from the same session as "Mr. Wendal." Lot of choices here so might as well go with a very high quality version with the new group!

Washed Away As far as I know this song has never been performed live. It probably has been, but it's never been recorded to my knowledge. Which is unfortunate because it's one of my favorite songs.

And since some albums have a bonus version of "People Everyday," then here we go with another great live version.


Anyway, you can chalk this post up as an idea that unfortunately is not even close to it's potential, but you can't win them all I guess...

No comments: